Friday, January 30, 2015

My Favorite Cat Breeds: Sphynx and the Different Types of Hairless Cats

*Disclaimer: I promote adoption first, my cat is a rescue. But I have a love for some of the unique breeds that are rare to find in shelters and I would likely adopt another before being able to afford these breeds.)

The Sphynx breed actually has many sub-breeds which include: Elf, Bambino, Canadian Hairless, Russian Donskoy, Peterbald, and Ukrainian Levkoy.

Starting with the Canadian Hairless, this is what most people see as a hairless cat
The breed was developed in the 1960's and they are not truly hairless. They actually are said to feel like chamois. They can have whiskers or they may be broken or non-existent. Their skin displays the coloration or patterns they would have with fur.

Then we have the modified versions, like the elf and bambino.
 The elf was created when a sphynx was breed with an American Curl producing a hairless cat with curled ears.

The Bambino was created when a sphynx was breed with a munchkin, producing a hairless munchkin.


These breeds are distinct from the Donskoy and the Peterbald which are both Russian breeds, whose characteristic hairlessness is caused by a dominant gene, whereas the Canadian hairlessness is caused by a recessive gene. Otherwise, though, the Donskoy and the Canadian Sphynx look a lot alike.

The Peterbald, however, has an oriental appearance from a Donskoy being breed with an oriental shorthair. This gives it a long face and a leaner look with its long legs.

A drawing shows the differences between the three main breeds:

The final breed I will mention is the Ukrainian Levkoy, which I think looks like a grumpy old man.
This breed was created by crossing a Donskoy with a Scottish Fold so it has the folded ears.

Overall, my favorites from this group of breeds would have to be the Elf and the Peterbalds for their unique and exotic looks. I am well aware of the care that is required for these breeds and if I ever was in a situation where I could afford one of these babies, I would would do plenty of research before deciding if this breed is truly for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment